Edward Brown has a broad ranging practice and is recommended by the legal directories as a leading junior in the following four practice areas:
- Commercial litigation
- Media, entertainment and sport
Recent comments from the legal directories include:
- "Praised for his 'fantastic advocacy', 'clever solutions provider' Edward Brown is well liked by instructing solicitors due to his pragmatism and 'willingness to get directly involved with clients.' Sources also say he is 'excellent in giving an opinion which is thorough, well balanced and firmly committed to its conclusions.'" (Chambers & Partners 2013, Commercial Dispute Resolution)
- "Edward Brown receives praise from sources for his level-headed approach and his excellent advice on a range of employment disputes." (Chambers & Partners 2013, Employment)
- "Edward Brown's 'quiet and gentle style' is 'the verbal honey trap for the unsuspecting judge'". (Legal 500 2012, Commercial litigation)
- "A very analytical barrister who is brilliant with clients." (Chambers & Partners 2012, Employment)
- "Solid, hands-on and approachable" (Legal 500 2012, Media, entertainment and sport).
- "Edward Brown has a busy indirect tax practice both for and against HMRC and is 'very much a rising star in the firmament of VAT work'" (Legal 500 2012, VAT)
- Recommend as having "an excellent mixed employment practice" (Chambers & Partners 2011, Employment).
- "Edward Brown is 'doggedly determined' and has a 'passion for tax'" (Legal 500 2011, VAT).
Edward also has significant experience acting for the FSA in financial services litigation, and advising and acting in disputes involving shareholders and company directors. He is an experienced trial advocate and regularly appears across a range of tribunals and courts. Edward regularly advises and acts on High Court injunctions, including applications in the Commercial Court for high-value freezing orders. He has substantial experience acting in appeals in the Upper Tribunal, EAT, High Court and Court of Appeal, and is often instructed alone against leading counsel. Edward also acts as a representative at commercial mediations.
Edward was appointed to the Attorney-General's C Panel in 2010. He has acted for central Government bodies in the High Court and Court of Appeal in a range of matters, including taxation disputes, employment claims and claims for judicial review.
Recently reported cases include:
- Pottage v FSA  All ER (D) 26 (Sept); (2012) 109 (35) LSG 20
- Whessoe Oil and Gas Ltd v Dale  PNLR 33
- Stanley v HMRC  STI 2600
- Majid v HMRC  STI 1417
- Burnip v Birmingham City Council  Eq. LR 701
- Hunter v McCarrick  ICR 533;  IRLR 274
- GlaxoSmithKline Services Unlimited v HMRC  STC 10
- VTB Capital plc v Malofeev  All ER (D) 20 (Oct)
- Kaye v Nu Skin UK Ltd  1 Lloyd's Rep 40;  2 All ER (Comm) 832
- BAA v HMRC  STC 1791
- R (Negassi) v SSHD  2 CMLR 36
- Innocent Ltd v HMRC  SFTD 111
- Direct Line Insurance plc v Fox  Lloyd's Rep IR 324;  1 All ER (Comm) 1017
- Grant v McKechnie Plastic Components  All ER (D) 194 (Feb)
- Procter & Gamble v HMRC  STC 1990