Edward is recommended in the following four areas:
- Commercial litigation
- Media, entertainment and sport
- “Considered a strong commercial junior by City solicitors, several of whom highlight his ability to quickly and thoroughly address the nub of a commercial dispute.”
- "He is very commercial in his approach, and has an ability to gain a quick grasp of the issues and the client’s overall objectives."
- "He's thorough and very clever, and gives the team total confidence he is giving the correct advice."(Chambers & Partners 2014)
- Ranked as leading junior for commercial litigation (Legal 500 2013).
- "Praised for his 'fantastic advocacy', 'clever solutions provider' Edward Brown is well liked by instructing solicitors due to his pragmatism and 'willingness to get directly involved with clients.' Sources also say he is 'excellent in giving an opinion which is thorough, well balanced and firmly committed to its conclusions.'" (Chambers & Partners 2013)
- "Edward Brown's 'quiet and gentle style' is 'the verbal honey trap for the unsuspecting judge'". (Legal 500 2012)
- "Particularly active in representing respondent clients from the financial services industry in all manner of employment disputes, he is admired for his courtroom gravitas and commercial focus.”
- "There's an enormous depth to his knowledge and I'd have no hesitation in either using or recommending him."
- "He combines a first-class brain with great commerciality and has an uncanny knack for getting on with and impressing people." (Chambers & Partners 2014)
- "Edward Brown receives praise from sources for his level-headed approach and his excellent advice on a range of employment disputes." (Chambers & Partners 2013)
- "A very analytical barrister who is brilliant with clients." (Chambers & Partners 2012)
- Recommended as having "an excellent mixed employment practice" (Chambers & Partners 2011).
Media, entertainment and sport
- “Edward Brown ‘quickly gets to the key issues.’” (Legal 500 2013)
- "Solid, hands-on and approachable" (Legal 500 2012).
- Recommended as a leading junior for VAT (Legal 500 2013)
- "Edward Brown has a busy indirect tax practice both for and against HMRC and is 'very much a rising star in the firmament of VAT work'" (Legal 500 2012)
- "Edward Brown is 'doggedly determined' and has a 'passion for tax'" (Legal 500 2011).
Edward also has significant experience acting for the FCA in financial services litigation, and advising and acting in disputes involving shareholders and company directors. He is an experienced trial advocate and regularly appears across a range of tribunals and courts. Edward regularly advises and acts on High Court injunctions, including applications in the Commercial Court for high-value freezing orders. He has substantial experience acting in appeals in the Upper Tribunal, EAT, High Court and Court of Appeal, and is often instructed alone against leading counsel. Edward also acts as a representative at commercial mediations.
Edward was appointed to the Attorney-General's C Panel in 2010. He has acted for the United Kingdom Government in the High Court and Court of Appeal in a range of matters, including taxation disputes, employment claims and claims for judicial review.
Recently reported cases include:
- Davis & Dann v HMRC  STI 2860
- R(MA) v SSWP  All ER (D) 373
- R(Rostami) v SSHD  All ER (D) 130
- BAA v HMRC  STC 752
- Hunter v McCarrick  ICR 235;  IRLR 26
- Burnip v Birmingham CC  PTSR 117
- VTB Capital v Nutritek International  2 BCLC 437
- Whessoe Oil and Gas Ltd v Dale  PNLR 33
- Stanley v HMRC  STI 2600
- Majid v HMRC  STI 1417
- GlaxoSmithKline Services Unlimited v HMRC  STC 10
- Kaye v Nu Skin UK Ltd  1 Lloyd's Rep 40;  2 All ER (Comm) 832
- Innocent Ltd v HMRC  SFTD 111
- Direct Line Insurance plc v Fox  Lloyd's Rep IR 324;  1 All ER (Comm) 1017
- Grant v McKechnie Plastic Components  All ER (D) 194 (Feb)
- Procter & Gamble v HMRC  STC 1990